Rochester, NY isn’t the flood capital of the world, but floods do happen in Rochester as well. And often the flood happens when you least expect it, and when you are least prepared to handle it.
In addition to property loss, water damage can cause a lot of health issues if not addressed timely.
What can you do to make sure you minimize the water damage if your property is flooded?
Depending on whom you ask you might get different answers.
Below is a list of five things to do that we find helpful.
- Safety First! When you’re experiencing water damage it is easy to get an electric shock. To prevent it when rubber boots if the level is not too high and be sure to keep extension cords out of the water. Turn off electricity in the area affected by flooding. If your basement is flooded and you smell natural gas, turn off the gas immediately or call your utility company if you don’t know how to do it. Make sure that all the children and pets are safe.
- If you can easily determine where the water is coming from and if it is possible to turn it off, do that as soon as possible.
- Get Help. Call a certified expert Water Damage Cleanup and Restoration company A Plus Cleaning & Restoration or any other certified restoration company in Rochester, NY area that provides 24/7 emergency services. Water extraction and restoration must start as soon as possible because mold starts growing within the first 48 hours.
- Save your valuables. Start with important documents and other paper, including photographs and family relics, financial records and so on. Valuable electronics, especially computers and other hard to replace items that contain your personal digital valuables.
- Call your insurance company and find out if they need you to take pictures or video of the damage. If it is safe to do so and you have a camera ready, take the pictures or video. An experienced restoration company should be able to do that for you as well.
Will following these tips help you reduce the losses caused by water damage?
We hope so. But having a certified professional assist you will make it easier on you and prevent secondary damage as well. Call a Certified Water Damage Restoration professional as soon as possible.
Follow the 5 tips above and you will minimize the amount of water damage you experience.
Watch the video below to learn what you can do to prevent water damage.