Fire and Smoke Damage after building fires brings a unique set of challenges – both emotional and practical.
In this article we are not going to touch on the emotional pain caused by any fire. Will focus on some practical aspects of dealing with fire and smoke damage.
When a building is ravaged by fire different types of materials burn at the same time – plastics, paint, paper, wood, fibers and so on. When they burn they generate a thick smoke with a very heavy odor. The smoke is frequently filled with oily soot and it spreads around the building.
When firefighters extinguish the fire they use water. The water dissolves a lot of the soot and carries it along with other byproducts throughout the building penetrating porous materials such as drywall, brick, plaster, stone, tile and wood. That amplifies the fire and smoke damage.
Want To Minimize Fire and Smoke Damage After a Fire? Follow the Tips Below:
Three Things to Do after a Fire
- Shut off the electricity
- Touch nothing! Leave everything smelly, sooty and messy
- Contact a Certified Professional Cleaning and Restoration Company as soon as possible to reduce Water, Fire and Smoke Damage to your property AND to have them take photos and video for your insurance and start the Cleaning and Restoration as soon as possible, using the right tools! It will SAVE you Time, Money, Hassle. Let the experts come and take pictures and do their investigation before you move anything.
Three Things NOT to Do after a Fire
- Do not attempt to clean ANYTHING yourself
- Do not turn electric appliances on until it has been verified that it is safel to do so
- Do not throw away any damaged goods until the inventory by a Certified Cleaning and Restoration company is completed
Containing Fire and Smoke Damage requires extensive knowledge and expertise.
A-Plus Cleaning & Restoration experts have the experience, manpower and equipment necessary to perform emergency services quickly and effectively, reducing water, fire and smoke damage to the contents and structure of your property. Insurance companies love to work with us because we have an impressive track record and provide the services that keep our clients AND insurance companies happy.
Call us 585-325-3000. We are available to assist you 24/7 .
Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration in Rochester, NY